Oh how I LOVE french toast, and this Double Vanilla French Toast recipe is more than perfect. Probably because of it’s secret…a double dose of vanilla goodness!
Double Vanilla French Toast
Oh how I LOVE french toast, and this Double Vanilla French Toast recipe is more than perfect. Probably because of it's secret...a double dose of vanilla goodness!
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 cup milk (2 percent is good)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (try grinding your own from a whole nutmeg!)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon vanilla-infused bourbon (substitute vanilla extract or half vanilla extract and half bourbon if you don’t have the infused bourbon ready.)
- 6 or 7 thick slices from a good loaf of white bread
- butter for the pan
- warmed maple syrup
- plain yogurt
- Whisk eggs, milk, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Cut vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the interior into the bowl using a spoon or dull knife. Stir in vanilla-infused bourbon and/or vanilla extract.
- Heat large cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat and add a pat of butter, moving butter around until it just melts. (Or use two skillets to prepare entire batch at once.)
- Submerge each slice of bread in egg mixture, counting to three, and let excess drip off. Add to skillet, repeat with other slices. Cook until lightly browned on each side, turning heat down if necessary to avoid burning.
- Top with warmed maple syrup, fruit, and plain yogurt.
- Slit 3 vanilla beans in half, exposing the seeds, and chop lengthwise into 3 sections each. In a small jar (ideally dark glass) or empty vanilla extract jar, insert the vanilla beans. Fill jar with bourbon, close lid, and shake. Store in cool, dark, place, shaking every few days, a minimum of two weeks. As you use the infused bourbon, top off with more bourbon, adding vanilla beans (even if they’ve already been scraped) as you have them.