Recipe for Creamsicle Swirl Cupcakes GF-CF – Enjoy these fruity, sweet, tangy cupcakes. Their flavor is perfect for any season and you don’t need a special occasion to dig in!
Creamsicle Swirl Cupcakes
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp honey (or agave nectar)
- juice of 2 oranges
- 1 tbsp Ener-G Egg Replacer whisked with ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup potato starch (not potato flour!)
- ½ cup arrowroot starch
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 packets stevia
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp guar gum
- zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 tbsp Southern Comfort
- zest of ½ orange
- 3 drops natural yellow food colour (optional)
- 2 drops natural red food colour (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp orange juice (as needed)
- Orange sprinkles or sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a twelve cupcake/muffin pan with paper liners.
- With electric beaters, beat oil, honey, orange juice, egg replacer and vanilla until well blended.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for two minutes.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (I found 20 to be perfect), until slightly tender but not squishy.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes and cool on a wire rack.
- Beat shortening, Southern Comfort, orange zest, and food colour (if using) on medium high until smooth.
- Sift in the sugar slowly until incorporated. Add orange juice as needed to make the frosting smooth and creamy.
- Pipe frosting on cupcakes and sprinkle with decorations.