I grew up eating fried apples and then as an adult I discovered Cracker Barrel and their fried apples. These Copycat Cracker Barrel Fried Apples are as close as I have seen to Cracker Barrel. The recipe says you can freeze the cooked apples. I have never done this as there is never any left.
- 2 cups apple juice, plus 1/2 cup apple juice
- 4 large apples, golden delicious with peel,cut 1/2 inch wedges
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- In a medium skillet, combine the 2 cups apple juice and sliced apples.
- Simmer gently until apples are fork tender but not mushy, turning apples frequently.
- Remove apples from juice using a slotted spoon and place in an oven safe dish.
- In a blender, combine the remaining 1/2 cup apple juice, cornstarch, apple pie spice and sugar.
- Blend a few seconds until smooth.
- Whisk mixture into hot apple juice in skillet and cook, stirring constantly on medium high heat until it bubbles and becomes thickened and smooth.
- Pour thickened mixture over apples and serve.
Can be frozen for daily snack or add to oatmeal, pancakes or over pork roast.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 286Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 12mgCarbohydrates 72gFiber 7gSugar 55gProtein 1g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.