Recipe for Cheesy Chicken Chowder – When you’re looking for a good bowl of soup, this quick-cooking chicken chowder is the best.
Cheesy Chicken Chowder
When you're looking for a good bowl of soup, this quick-cooking chicken chowder is the best.
- 2 bacon slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups diced peeled red potatoes
- 2 1/4 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Crumble; set aside. Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to bacon fat in pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn; stir well.
- Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to soup. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Top with crumbled bacon and more cheese.
Photo: Eliza Adam