If you like honey, then this Bee Sting Cake is the cake for you — it’s in the batter, the topping and filling. The topping is a honey-butter-almond topping, which creates a crispy, crackly top. It is sooo good.
Bee Sting Cake
If you like honey, then this Bee Sting Cake is the cake for you -- it's in the batter, the topping and filling. The topping is a honey-butter-almond topping, which creates a crispy, crackly top. It is sooo good.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 3/4 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter, slightly softened
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large beaten egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- For the Topping: In a medium saucepan, melt butter and honey. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Add vanilla and almonds, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- For the Cake: Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut a parchment circle to fit the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Coat pan bottom and sides with cooking spray. Place parchment circle in bottom of pan.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream 4 ounces butter until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in 5 tablespoons sugar, about 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup honey and beat 1 more minute.
- Blend in eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Add vanilla and half the flour mixture, and mix briefly. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add milk, then remaining flour, beating briefly after each addition.
- Scrape into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 tablespoon flour, then pat top of cake smooth with your hand. Pour topping over batter, gently spreading evenly. Place pan on a baking sheet and bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick tests clean. Do not overbake. Cool cake in pan completely on a wire rack.
- For the Filling: In the top of a double boiler over medium heat, combine cornstarch, milk and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir constantly until thickened, at least 3 minutes. Add in 1 beaten egg and keep stirring constantly for about 2 minutes until very thick. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract, if using.
- Chill in an ice-water bath, stirring occasionally. Place plastic wrap in direct contact with surface of pastry cream and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Whip the cream with the cream of tartar and confectioners' sugar until stiff. Add a dollop of cream to the pastry cream and stir to lighten the cream. Then fold in remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate while you prepare to assemble the cake.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cooled cake and remove the springform ring. Invert cake onto a plate. Peel off the parchment paper and invert again on a serving platter, so the almond side is showing. Cut cake in half horizontally and fill with pastry cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.