Recipe for BBQ Chicken – Saucealicious. Is that a word? We hope so because it’s the only way to describe this BBQ Chicken.
Saucealicious. Is that a word? We hope so because it's the only way to describe this BBQ Chicken.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 3 1/2–4-lb. chicken, cut into 10 pieces (breasts halved)
- 2 tablespoons Spice Rub
Spice Rub (combine all)
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until paste turns brick-red, about 2 minutes. Add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, and 3 cups water. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, until reduced by half, 50–60 minutes; season with salt.
- Prepare grill for medium heat. Season chicken with Spice Rub. Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred, 15–20 minutes. Continue grilling, turning and basting with barbecue sauce often, until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 8–10 minutes longer.
Photo: Elena Gaillard
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com