Recipe for Barbecue Mozzarella Meatball Skewers – This recipe for deliciously gooey grilled meatball skewers is a tasty way to kick the party off right.
Barbecue Mozzarella Meatball Skewers
This recipe for deliciously gooey grilled meatball skewers is a tasty way to kick the party off right.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup basil, chopped
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 3 tablespoons onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2 cups KC Masterpiece Kansas City Classic Barbecue Sauce
- 20 3-inch wooden skewers
- Build a charcoal fire for indirect cooking using Kingsford(r) Charcoal by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In medium bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, basil, egg, onion and salt. Mix well.
- Form about 20 meatballs using 2 tablespoons of beef mixture for each meatball. Place meatballs over indirect heat and close grill lid. Cook for 10 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- While meatballs cook, form a ball of mozzarella (1 teaspoon each) around each wooden skewer, 1 inch from end. Remove meatballs from grill and stick a mozzarella skewer into top of each meatball. Place back on grill over indirect heat, close grill lid and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Pour 2 cups barbecue sauce into bowl. Once cheese melts, remove each skewer from grill and immediately dip meatball into barbecue sauce, up to bottom of melted cheese. Serve warm.