This tender moist cake is perfect to bring to potlucks, make during the holidays, or enjoy any time you’re craving something sweet. Preacher Cake is a simple cake recipe with pineapple, coconut, pecans and a cream cheese frosting. As the story goes, this is a quick cake recipe that the housewife could throw together when she learned last minute the preacher was coming. It can be made as a layer cake, cupcakes, or simply baked in a pan.
I will tell you that the house smelled absolutely amazing from the pineapple as it was baking and we really could not wait to dig in. This Preacher's Cake is served with a cream cheese frosting which makes for a totally irresistible combination.
Yield: 12 servings
- 2 eggs (3.6 oz)
- 1 ¼ cups sugar (8.3 oz)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or rum/rum extract if you like)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (I used walnut oil)
- 20 oz crushed pineapple including the juice, if you like (about 2 ¾ cups, I used fresh but use canned if you prefer)
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans (2 oz), medium ground
- 2 cups flour (10 oz)
- 2 tablespoons dessicated coconut **optional
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz butter, softened
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- In a medium sized bowl add the eggs, sugar, vanilla (or rum/rum extract), oil and crushed pineapple. Sift the flour, salt and baking soda and add that into the bowl and mix well. Lastly add the walnuts and the coconut and mix until well incorporated. Grease and line your 8”x8” square pan, pour in the batter and bake at 350°F for about 30-40 minutes until the cake is golden brown on top and springs back when touched in the center. Using a tester will not work here, because the cake is very moist and make appear under cooked. Allow the cake to cool completely, then invert onto your serving dish and either serve it plain dusted with a little powdered sugar or top it with the cream cheese frosting. You can also bake this in an oven proof corning ware dish (pyrex) and serve it directly out of the dish without the need for a separate platter.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add the cream cheese to the bowl of your stand mixer and using the paddle attachment begin creaming it, then slowly add the softened butter until it has all been incorporated. Sift the powdered sugar and add a little at a time until it has all been incorporated. Lastly, add the vanilla and taste to see if it is sweet enough for you.
Calories per serving: 543 kcal
Fat per serving: 31g
Saturated fat per serving: 16g
Carbs per serving: 61g
Protein per serving: 6g
Fiber per serving: 2g
Sugar per serving: 40g
Sodium per serving: 397mg
Trans fat per serving: 1g
Cholesterol per serving: 100mg
Recipe and Photo: Good Food Gourmet
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com