Recipe for Homemade Apple Topping – Cinnamon-kissed syrup cocoons chunks of apple in this perfect topper for pancakes, waffles, crepes or ice cream. It’s even good by the spoonful right out of the jar!
- 7 medium "pie" apples, peeled and chopped (use a mix of sweet and tart)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strong-brewed apple-flavoured herbal tea, cold
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine apples and sugar in a large saucepan, cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Place over medium-high heat and stir frequently until mixture comes to a boil. Boil hard 1 minute, continuing to stir frequently.
- Whisk together tea, tapioca, cinnamon, ginger and lemon juice and stir into apples.
- Reduce heat to a brisk simmer and cook for 1 minute more, stirring.
- Pack mixture into sterilized jar(s), seal and process in a waterbath for 20 minutes (pints) or 35 minutes (quarts).
Recipe and Photo: Sarah R