Without a doubt, my favorite party food is seven layer dip. With one deft swoop of a wide-brimmed tortilla chip, you can shovel seven unique tastes and textures into your open mouth at once.
- 1 16oz can of refried beans
- 1 4.25oz can of pre-sliced black olives
- 1 cup of pico de gallo salsa (or 1/4 cup of jarred salsa with 1 large tomato, chopped)
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup of sour cream (or nonfat Greek yogurt)
- 1 tbsp of cumin (or taco seasoning)
- 2 scallion sprigs, chopped and with the root end removed
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted, and roughly smashed
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- tabasco, to taste
- 1 large bag of corn tortilla chips
- Layer a wide transparent bowl with the ingredients, starting with the refried beans (with the cumin and tabasco mixed inside). Follow the bean layer with a layer of sour cream, shredded cheese, smashed avocados and garlic, pico de gallo salsa, black olives, and finally, the chopped scallions. Use the back of a wide spoon or spatula to help you spread the creamy ingredients. Serve the dip with corn tortilla chips.
Recipe and Photo: Passionate Eater