Recipe for Banana Split Cupcakes – Enjoy the delicious flavors of your favorite ice cream dessert in these Banana Split Cupcakes. Topped with a smooth buttercream, rich chocolate ganache, sprinkles, and a cherry on top.
Enjoy the delicious flavors of your favorite ice cream dessert in these Banana Split Cupcakes. Topped with a smooth buttercream, rich chocolate ganache, sprinkles, and a cherry on top.
Yield: 20-24 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 Cup self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (1 Cup)
- 2 Cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 Cup banana puree (fresh bananas, pureed to a thin sauce)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 Cup dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
- 5-8 tbsp warm water
To make cupcakes:
- In a separate medium bowl, combine both flours and whisk to combine, set aside.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with paddle attachement, cream butter on medium speed until very smooth. Gradually add in the sugar and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating very well after each one.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, banana puree, and vanilla extract.
- Adding the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the banana mixture. With each addition, don't overmix - just beat until barely combined. Scrape down sides of the bowl when needed. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Cook cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes, then remove from tins and cool on a wire rack before icing.
To make banana cream custard filling:
- Place all ingredients in a medium food processor or blender and combine to a fine sauce. pour mixture into a saucepan over medium heat an cook until bubbly - whisk constantly. Cook until mixture begins to thicken, about 5-7 minutes, or until the mixture can coat the back of the spoon. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
To make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- Cream together butter, salt, vanilla, and min the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment for about 1 minute.
- Mixing on low, add sugar 1/2 Cup at a time, mix completely after each addition. Add cream to desired consistency.
To make chocolate ganache:
- Place chocolate and heavy cream in a metal bowl over simmering water in a small saucepan. Let chocolate and cream melt slowly together for about 2-3 minutes without stirring. Slowly mix to combine and add powdered sugar.
- Add water one tablespoon at time, and mix very well after each addition, until pouring consistency is reached. Set aside and let sauce cool to warm.
- To stuff cupcakes, create a well in center of each cupcake using whatever you usually use (I use a melon baller, haha!) Fill well with custard filling (using a spoon or piping bag).
- Fill a pastry bag with a large round tip and frosting. Start piping from the inside (covering up the custard), and create one even frosting layer. Freeze cupcakes 20 minutes (or else your chocolate ganache will melt your frosting).
- Dip top of cupcakes into chocolate ganache, the immediately rim with sprinkles. Return cupcakes immediately to freezer for about 5 minutes.
- With a star tip, pipe the rest of the frosting onto each chocolate-covered cupcake and immediately garnish with a maraschino cherry (make sure cherry has no dripping juices, dry on a towel).
Photo: tawest64 / CC BY