Recipe for Corned Beef and Cabbage – If you want an easy recipe for corned beef and cabbage to serve up this St. Patrick’s Day, we have you covered. This dish has it all, and is prepared all in one pot. Any leftovers make for a great hash or sandwiches.
2 hours, 45 minutes
If you want an easy recipe for corned beef and cabbage to serve up this St. Patrick's Day, we have you covered. This dish has it all, and is prepared all in one pot. Any leftovers make for a great hash or sandwiches.
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 corned beef brisket (about 4 pounds) with spice packet
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-1/2 pounds small potatoes (10-15)
- 8 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups reserved cooking juices from corned beef
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup horseradish
- Place brisket, contents of seasoning packet, brown sugar, and bay leaves in a large Dutch oven or stockpot; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, just until beef and vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes. (If pot is full, remove potatoes and carrots before adding cabbage; reheat before serving.)
- Add cabbage to pot; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove vegetables and corned beef; keep warm.
- For Horseradish Sauce, strain and reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; skim fat from reserved juices. Discard remaining juices. Prepare sauces as desired.
- Cut beef across the grain into slices. Serve with vegetables, Horseradish Sauce and, if desired, Mustard Sauce.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 cup reserved juices. Stir in sugar, vinegar and horseradish; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened. If desired, thin with additional juices. Season to taste with additional sugar, vinegar or horseradish.
- Mix all ingredients.
Photo: Hungry Dudes / CC BY