Recipe for Melty Mozzarella Sticks – These mozzarella sticks make awesome appetizers. Simple. Quick. Delicious.
- 5 mozzarella cheese sticks/string cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- Line baking sheet with foil and brush with olive oil.
- Cut cheese sticks in half.
- Lightly beat eggs in small bowl.
- In medium bowl, combine panko, parmesan, oregano, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and several grinds of freshly ground pepper.
- Place flour in another small bowl. Season with freshly ground pepper and a dash of salt.
- Dip cheese sticks in egg. Dip in flour mixture. Dip in egg again.
- Dip in panko-parmesan mixture. Firmly press a thick layer of the panko-parm onto the cheese stick.
- Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cheese sticks.
- Place baking sheet in freezer for at least 1 hour.
- They can be covered at this point and baked off a day or two later (maybe even longer!). I baked mine the next day.
- Preheat broiler. Move the rack near the top of the oven. (Mine worked best on the second "notch" from the top.)
- Drizzle the mozzarella sticks with olive oil. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn and bake for another 2 to 3 minutes, turning as necessary to brown all sides. (I turned mine a total of three times.)
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve warm, with marinara sauce, if desired.
- To rewarm and make the cheese all melty again, pop the sticks in the oven for a minute or the microwave for a few seconds.
Recipe and Photo: Bake House
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com