Recipe for Irish Soda Bread – Whether or not you’re Irish, this classic quick bread recipe brings great taste into your kitchen.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup raisins, if desired
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease cookie sheet.
- Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in raisins and just enough buttermilk so dough leaves side of bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Shape into round loaf, about 6 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on cookie sheet. Cut an X shape about 1/2 inch deep through loaf with floured knife.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter or margarine, softened, if desired.
Photo: Mike McCune
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com