Recipe for Irish Soda Bread – Whether or not you’re Irish, this classic quick bread recipe brings great taste into your kitchen.
Whether or not you're Irish, this classic quick bread recipe brings great taste into your kitchen.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup raisins, if desired
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease cookie sheet.
- Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in raisins and just enough buttermilk so dough leaves side of bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Shape into round loaf, about 6 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on cookie sheet. Cut an X shape about 1/2 inch deep through loaf with floured knife.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter or margarine, softened, if desired.
Photo: Mike McCune
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com