Recipe for Guiltless Lemon Bars – These bars were so light and tasty with a great flaky shortbread crust! They are also pretty easy to make, always a plus! Remember, the powdered sugar on top is crucial–it’s just so pretty!
These bars were so light and tasty with a great flaky shortbread crust! They are also pretty easy to make, always a plus! Remember, the powdered sugar on top is crucial–it’s just so pretty!
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, (about 3 lemons)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, allowing the foil to extend over the pan by 2 inches. Lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together 1 cup of the flour, the salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Whisk together the eggs and egg white in a small bowl until blended.
- To make the crust, with an electric mixer on low speed, beat the butter in a medium bowl until smooth. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat until blended. Beat in 1 tablespoon of the egg mixture and 1 teaspoon water. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until blended. Evenly press the dough onto the bottom and 1/4 inch up the sides of the pan. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup flour and the remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining egg mixture, the zest, and juice until blended.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the warm crust. Bake until the filling is set, about 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Lift from the pan using the foil as handles. Cut into 16 squares.
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com