Recipe for Thai Curry Mussels – These Thai Mussels make a beautiful gourmet-style dinner, and they’re easy to make too! If your mussels are already clean and ready to go, this dish can literally be on your table in just minutes.
- 2 pounds live mussels (about 6 dozen), cleaned and debearded
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large (or 2 small) shallot, finely diced
- 3 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 2 15-oz. cans of coconut milk (lite is ok)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro stems
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Set a really big pot over medium heat. Once it’s hot, melt the butter and saute the shallots for 5 – 7 minutes, or until they begin to turn translucent. Add the curry paste and half the chicken stock. Use a spoon to break dissolve the curry paste into the stock.
- Add the rest of the stock, the coconut milk, cilantro stems, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and coriander. Bring to a simmer and cover for about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Raise the heat to medium high and add the mussels. Toss the mussels in the broth, then cover and let steam for about 5 minutes, checking to see when they open. Remove each mussel once it’s open to make sure you don’t overcook them. Some may not open and those should be discarded.
- When you’ve removed all the mussels, serve them in bowls and add a few generous ladlefuls of broth. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
Recipe and Photo: Bitchin Camero
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com