Recipe for Thai Curry Mussels – These Thai Mussels make a beautiful gourmet-style dinner, and they’re easy to make too! If your mussels are already clean and ready to go, this dish can literally be on your table in just minutes.
These Thai Mussels make a beautiful gourmet-style dinner, and they're easy to make too! If your mussels are already clean and ready to go, this dish can literally be on your table in just minutes.
- 2 pounds live mussels (about 6 dozen), cleaned and debearded
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large (or 2 small) shallot, finely diced
- 3 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 2 15-oz. cans of coconut milk (lite is ok)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro stems
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Set a really big pot over medium heat. Once it’s hot, melt the butter and saute the shallots for 5 – 7 minutes, or until they begin to turn translucent. Add the curry paste and half the chicken stock. Use a spoon to break dissolve the curry paste into the stock.
- Add the rest of the stock, the coconut milk, cilantro stems, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and coriander. Bring to a simmer and cover for about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Raise the heat to medium high and add the mussels. Toss the mussels in the broth, then cover and let steam for about 5 minutes, checking to see when they open. Remove each mussel once it’s open to make sure you don’t overcook them. Some may not open and those should be discarded.
- When you’ve removed all the mussels, serve them in bowls and add a few generous ladlefuls of broth. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
Recipe and Photo: Bitchin Camero
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com