Recipe for Italian Sausage Rolls – These Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls are sure to become a favorite party food with your friends and family!
- 6 puff pastry sheets, halved
- 2 lb ground sausage
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs or 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Pre-heat your oven to 425F.
- Lay all the sheets of pastry out on your counter top.
- In Australia, this pastry comes interleaved with plastic, which I still leave on at this stage.
- Mix together the meat, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, milk and salt and pepper.
- The mixture will be quite sloppy-this keeps the sausage rolls moist.
- Whisk the egg and 2 tablespoons of milk together in a small bowl.
- Fill a large piping bag (no nozzle) with the mix and squeeze out a long line of mix down the long edge of the pastry-about 1/2 an inch in from that edge.
- Roll up, peeling the plastic away as you roll.
- Seal the inner edge with a little of the egg mix.
- Cut each of these rolls in half.
- I like to make an indent with a sharp knife in the middle of each of these smaller rolls to make them easier to eat.
- Prick each roll a couple of times with a fork.
- Repeat this until all the pastry and mix is used.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with the egg mix.
- Place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 400F and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove to a tray to cool a little before serving them with ketchup or (my favourite) BBQ sauce.
Recipe and Photo: STL Cooks
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com