Recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork – Sweet and sour pork is one delicious dish, and my sons tell me this dish tasted just like the one at the restaurants.
- About 10 oz. pork shoulder (with a bit of fat)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large tomato
- 1 cucumber, or green bell pepper
- 1 red chili
- 8 T water
- 1 heaped T cornflour
- 2 T tomato ketchup
- 2 T fine sugar
- 1 t worchestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 T vinegar
- 1/2 t salt
- Lightly and randomly score the surface of the pork all over (to tenderize) and cut into 2 cm cubes. Add 1/2 t salt, some white pepper, 1 T cornflour, 1 egg white and 1/2 t sesame oil (optional) and mix well (using your hands to mix better) and leave 1/2 hour. Note: add 1/2 t 5-spice powder if like.
- Cut all the veg into 1 1/2 cm cubes/slices. Mix all the sauce ingredients together, stirring well to dissolve the sugar. Taste and season it if necessary.
- Heat 2 to 3 cups of oil until very hot. Coat each piece of pork with cornflour and drop into oil in 3 batches. Move the pork around so they don't stick together. Fry until light to medium brown and very crispy, and drain on paper towels. Place pork on serving plate.
- Pour the oil away leaving about 1 T in the wok and add all the veg into the same wok (there'll be enough oil coating the wok but in restaurants, oil is added so the sauce will have a sheen). Fry until veg are half-done. Now add the sauce ingredients (give it a stir before adding into wok) and stir until sauce thickens. Pour the sauce over the pork, or you can add the pork in and then dish out.
Recipe and Photo: Hunger Hunger
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com