Recipe for Ambrosia Cake – An angel food cake with lots of fresh flavor. The pineapple, mandarin oranges, and toasted coconut give this cake recipe a tropical flair.
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 16 ounces vanilla frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese frosting
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- zest of half an orange
- 1 angel food cake, baked, cooled
- 2 cans (15 oz. ea) mandarin orange slices, drained
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple slices, drained and cut into quarters
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Bring juice from canned pineapple to boil. Whisk together eggs, yolk, and sugar in medium bowl. Add to pineapple juice, whisking continuously over medium heat until it becomes thick (3-4 minutes). Take off heat, stir in butter and salt. Pour in small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Bake cake according to package directions. When cooled, slice horizontal into 3 even layers.
- Take vanilla frosting, orange juice and orange zest; stir to combine.
- Place bottom layer of cake on platter, spread 1/2 of orange frosting on bottom layer, top with mandarin oranges.
- Place another layer of cake on top, spread pineapple curd over this layer and top with 4 slices of pineapple rings cut into 1/2.
- Add third layer of cake, frost all around the sides with rest of orange frosting. Frost top with cream cheese frosting.
- Layer 4 pineapple rings on top, cut into 1/4 and second can of mandarin oranges.
- Press toasted coconut into sides and on top of cake.
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com