We love chicken cordon bleu. This is just like that…but with mushrooms!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c. crushed Ritz crackers (about 25 crackers)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 4 slices ham or salami
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness. Place egg in a shallow bowl. Combine cracker crumbs and salt in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg, then in crumbs, set aside.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Add chicken; cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes each side or until juices run clear. Top each chicken breast half with a ham slice, mushrooms and a cheese slice. Broil 4 inches from heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
If you do not have an ovenproof skillet, just remove the chicken from the skillet and put in a 9x13 inch glass dish sprayed with cooking spray before you place them in the oven.
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com