Recipe for Rainbow Beef – In this version of a stir-fry classic I am using less beef than a typical recipe would call for and adding in some shiitake mushrooms and extra peppers
- 1/2 pound lean flank steak
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 fat garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, rice bran oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps quartered
- 4 bell peppers of varying colors
- 1 anaheim pepper
- 1 tsp cold water
- Salt to taste
- Slice the steak first with the grain into 2-inch wide strips. Then cut each strip across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place in a medium bowl and toss with the cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of the rice wine or sherry, the soy sauce, one of the minced garlic cloves, salt and pepper to taste, 1 teaspoon cold water, and the sesame oil.
- Combine the remaining rice wine or sherry and the hoisin sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok over high heat until a drop of water evaporates within a second or two when added to the pan. Swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil and add the beef in a single layer. Let sit in the pan for about 1 minute, until it begins to sear, then stir fry for 1 minute. Transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Swirl in the remaining oil, then add the garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and stir-fry for no more than 10 seconds. Add the mushrooms and peppers, sprinkle with salt to taste and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Return the beef and any juices that have accumulated on the plate or bowl to the wok, add the hoisin sauce mixture and stir-fry for another 30 seconds to a minute, until the beef is cooked through. Remove from the heat and serve with rice, grains or noodles.
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com