Recipe for Monte Cristo Sandwiches – A Monte Cristo sandwich combines so many yummy flavors. It’s a little bit french toast and a little bit grilled cheese and it is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 c. strawberry jam
- 2 T. dijon mustard
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 T. milk
- 2 T. flour
- 8 slices of bread (I used whole wheat here but white is more traditional, see note above)
- 8 thin deli slices of swiss cheese
- 4 thin slices of ham
- 4 thin slices of turkey
- 2 T. butter
- powdered sugar (for serving)
- For the sauce: Mix together the strawberry jam and dijon mustard in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the eggs in a wide, shallow dish. Whisk together the milk and flour, then add to the eggs along with a pinch of salt. Mix together thoroughly.
- Spread each slice of bread with about a teaspoon of the strawberry-mustard sauce. Divide the cheese and meat evenly between each sandwich beginning and ending with a slice of cheese.
- Melt 1 T. butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working with one sandwich at a time, dip both sides in the egg mixture. When the butter is foaming, add the sandwich and immediately dip another sandwich in the egg mixture and place in the pan with the first sandwich. Cook each sandwich until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Wipe out the skillet using paper towel. Repeat step 4 with the remaining sandwiches and 1 T. butter.
- Serve with powdered sugar and remaining sauce.
Recipe and Photo: a lovin’ forkful