Served with additional chives on top for flare, these would be a fun make-ahead appetizer or a tantalizing side for a variety of main dishes.
- 2 pounds red new potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 450
- Using a sharp knife, slice off a very thin piece of the bottom of each potato half so they will remain flat.
- On a large baking sheet, toss potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper - arrange the potatoes so the bottom side is down.
- Place in the oven and bake until tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove and let cool on the baking sheet.
- When cool enough to handle, use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out about a teaspoon from the center of each potato. Place those into a medium bowl and mash with the sour cream and chives - season to taste with salt and pepper. Stuff potatoes with filling and place back into the oven to bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
Recipe and Photo: Culinary in the Country