Recipe for Chicken Pot Pie-O-My – Chunks of tender chicken, lots of vegetables and a tasty crust. It has everything good, a perfect comfort food kind of meal for me!
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup finely grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shortening (I used 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup lard)
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp cold water
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- Place the flour, cheeses, shortening and salt into a medium bowl and with your fingertips rub in the shortening until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add water and mix with a fork just until the mixture comes together. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Microwave all of the vegetables together for about 5-6 minutes until they are just tender. Set aside.
- Melt butter in medium sauce pan. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and tarragon and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in chicken broth and let cook, stirring frequently until mixture thickens and comes to a full boil. Add vegetables and cooked chicken.
Recipe and Photo: Pie-O-My