The Meyer lemon gives these cupcakes THE perfect balance of sweet and tart and is a perfect compliment to any summer day. Plus they are just super cute.
- Melt the butter and set aside until it starts to solidify again. You want it still pourable but not totally melted.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. With the mixer on low, gradually add the butter and sour cream.
- Add lemon juice and eggs, one at a time. Mix only until combined to make sure that the cupcakes stay light and fluffy.
- Fill prepared muffin cups two-thirds full of batter. Bake 18-21 minutes until light and fluffy or a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
For buttercream frosting:
- Cream together the butter and confectioners’ sugar. Add lemon juice and then the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until smooth and creamy, should be around 1 ½ tablespoons.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, spread cupcakes with frosting or frost using a #12 piping tip. Sprinkle with sugar pearls, garnish with a trimmed bendable straw and serve.
Recipe and Photo: TheThreeLittlePiglets.com