Recipe for Island Chicken – Bring a taste of the islands to your dinner table with this fast and easy grilled pineapple and chicken dish.
- 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt-free Jamaican jerk seasoning
- Salt (optional)
- 1 can (20-ounce) pineapple slices
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Hot cooked brown rice (optional)
- Set up grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat.* Oil grate when ready to start cooking.
- Brush both sides of chicken pieces with olive oil and sprinkle with 11⁄2 teaspoons of the jerk seasoning and salt (optional); set aside.
- Drain pineapple slices, reserving juice. Sprinkle both sides of pineapple slices with 3⁄4 teaspoon of the jerk seasoning; set aside.
- For sauce, in small saucepan, combine reserved pineapple juice, the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon jerk seasoning, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat; cook about 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half. Set aside.
- Place chicken on hot oiled grill. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until no longer pink (165 degrees F). Remove to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Place pineapple slices on grill and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until grill marks appear and pineapple is heated through.
- Serve chicken with pineapple slices and sauce. Serve with hot cooked rice (optional).
Chicken also may be broiled. Preheat broiler. Broil chicken 4 to 5 inches from heat for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until no longer pink (165 degrees F). Broil pineapple 1 to 2 minutes per side or until warm.
Recipe adapted from: SandraLee.com