There are several versions of meatball sub casserole online and after several attempts, we created a version we love. We now keep our Meatball Sub Casserole in our monthly dinner rotation! It is super easy . . . and that is how we roll in my house!
- Loaf of French bread
- Butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room-temperature
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 pound of frozen, fully cooked Italian meatballs (thawed and cut in half)
- 1 can Hunts Garlic and Herb Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Turn oven on to broil.
- Slice French bread into thick slices (1-1.5 inch slices).
- Butter one side of the bread slices.
- Lightly sprinkle with garlic salt and place bread slices butter side up on a cookie sheet.
- Broil bread until golden toasty on the edges.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 metal or glass baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place bread toasted side up into the pan. Fill it up leaving very few gaps; cut one slice into pieces if necessary to fill large gaps.
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise and Italian seasoning using an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Scrape down the side of the bowl as needed.
- Using a spatula, evenly spread the cream cheese mix over all of the bread slices (creating a smooth, even layer all the way across the pan).
- Place cut up meatballs evenly on top of the cream cheese mix.
- Pour the can of spaghetti sauce evenly over the meatballs.
- Evenly sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes until heated all the way through and cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Frozen Italian meatballs are often sold in 2 pound packages so use only 1/2 a bag.
Recipe and Photo: Craft Creative Kathy